UNIX filesystems on Sun SPARCstation floppy disks (solved, sort of)

Ace Stewart jstewart at rodan.acs.syr.edu
Tue May 14 03:48:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr30.213800.18265 at trc.amoco.com> zjmw36 at trc.amoco.com (Joe M. Wade) writes:

>The second hole on some diskettes is to denote that is is high density. If
>SUNOS tools only works for low density as you imply, you could probably
>force low density fomatting on a high density diskette.

Nope, you can do it...but you will regret it.

>Better yet, just use a low density diskette.

Yup, much better idea. Why? Bascically, the tracks on a disk are
designed with distance between them that denotes what "size" of disk
they are. Formatting an HD as a DD (on a CPU) will cause problems with
the track space.

Sure, there are war stories saying "Well, I've had no problems" but
please understand that 3M, Sony, and the like warn people not to do
this since it then becomes a volatile storage medium.

My $0.02 worth..

--Ace
--
    Ace Stewart | Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, New York
jstewart at rodan.acs.syr.edu jstewart at sunrise.bitnet jstewart at mothra.cns.syr.edu