PD version of SysV 'news' wanted

Kimmo Suominen Kimmo.Suominen at lut.fi
Thu May 2 23:22:35 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 1 May 91 19:16:38 GMT, hudson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Hudson) said:

John> I am looking for a public domain version of the 'news' utility
John> found on many SysV machines.  This allows new system messages to
John> be read to a user.  The message list is dated per user such that
John> each user has to read the message only once, then is never
John> prompted about it again (although the messages may be recalled
John> as requested).

I suggest you get "msgs" from the BSD Reno PD sources.  It has a more
friendly user interface, and implements message aging, in case you
want it.

I am in the middle of changing from "news" to "msgs", because I can
get "msgs" to run on all platforms we use (HP9000, Sun3-4, Apollo).
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen at lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM at FINFILES