AIX on 3090

Scott Schwartz schwartz at psuvax1.cs.psu.edu
Sun Dec 17 17:29:13 AEST 1989

In article <6403 at turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>workstation. For example, it is common these days to do the graphic VLSI
>circuit design on a workstation but this is just the graphic frontend, when
>it comes to the real processing it is necessary to have the mainframe class
>system to accomplish it.

Around here we do lots of VLSI design on old Sun4s, because it's faster
than on our 3090/600E.   As you remark, IBM has wonderful thruput and
lots of memory, but for scalar arithmatic the "Attack of the Killer
Micros" has already been won.

>That's why Intel designed the 486 running AIX on
>the 3090, it wasn't due to liking Big Blue, they just had to have a system with
>this kind of power. Well enough of my rambling, you get the idea.

Ask someone at Motorola about how the 88000 was done.

--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz at shire.cs.psu.edu>
"More mips; cheaper mips; never too many." -- John Mashey