Kermit and old AIX'es

Nicholas J. Simicich njs at scifi.UUCP
Fri Dec 1 11:10:07 AEST 1989

The lock files on AIX/RT prior to 2.2, as I recall, are actually kept
in two different places.  Some of the programs (getty, ate) kept lock
files in /etc/locks, whereas uucp kept locks somewhere in the uucp
setup.  None of these programs had provision for lock recovery.

When BNU was shipped (cu, ct, and uucp) all lock files were moved to
/etc/locks.  BNU, at least, steals locks when they are not in the
proper format, and/or do not contain a process number of an active
process.

So the answer is:  I know that they are different, and I don't
remember where they went.  I've also thrown out all of my 2.1.2
manuals...

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs at ibm.com (Internet)