Looking for experience with bug fix.

Peter A. Blemel peter at hydrovax.nmt.edu
Wed Dec 6 01:21:55 AEST 1989

In article <17390 at rpp386.cactus.org>, mark at rpp386.cactus.org (Mark Lehmann) writes...
>  When you say IBM it is kind of general.  Often getting the right answer
>  is just a matter of talking to the right person at IBM.  At least that
>  have been my experience.
I posted a sort of shoddy results of the fix to comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt

As for the right person... From the beginning: (I'll be as brief as I can)

I talked to my tech rep, got nowhere. She posted to some IBM internal bbs
thing (and gave me a disk so I could read (but not post to it)), got nowhere.
I faxed Interleaf, they forwarded it to the IBM group in Boulder CO. First
reply said "Interleaf assures us that tps runs equally well on all platforms".
So I faxed back a nasty note saying that sure it runs great if your on the
console using it, but not if you're the poor slob trying to use a terminal
in the next room. Second reply said "We suspect the problem is in AIX, talk
to your tech support person". Well, here is where I started making radical
changes to /etc/master and relinking the kernel about once every thirty
min. I got more info from usenet posts than from these people. Then I got
pissed and told them (the boulder group) that if they didn't do something
we were going to try and get our money back (Interleaf, 6150/135 and all).
Amazingly enough two days later some guy at IBM austin calls my tech rep
with a patch. I install it, and it doesn't appear to do what he said it
did (see the comp.sys...rt post). I call him, and he says "You know, you're
right" - Let me call you back. Later that day is when I found out that the
fix works, only not in the manner that he or his letter said it did.

I appriciate your concern and taking the time to post, but I got a lot of
run-around from a lot of people at IBM. How am I supposed to know who to
talk to at IBM when IBM doesn't know (or won't tell me) who to talk to at
IBM.

This isn't a flame, sorry if it sounds like one.

Peter
-----
peter at hydrovax.nmt.edu
peter at amber.nmt.edu