Sytstem wide .login on RT running AIX 2.2.1

Ronald S. Woan ron at woan.austin.ibm.com
Fri Dec 22 02:18:41 AEST 1989

In article <13530 at s.ms.uky.edu>, pjl at ms.uky.edu (Paul Linton) writes:
>    Every account on the RT here runs /bin/csh by default.  My problem
> is that they do not execute /etc/profile upon login.  I could not find
> anything in the manuals relating to a system wide .login (such as
> /etc/login), has anyone figured this out?

It is strange that /etc/profile doesn't execute upon login; I'll have
to give it a try this weekend. Anyways, try the /etc/environment file
which is what I use to set global environment variables (I use ksh
though). The "Managing the AIX Operating System Manual" states:

        Before any user logs in to the system, the init process (the
main process starting the system) reads the file /etc/environment. The
init process passes variable assignments made in the /etc/environment
to each process it creates (its child processes). These variables
automatically become part of the list of exported shell variables.

The manual doesn't mention that /etc/profile is not executed when csh
is the default shell though...

                                                Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron at woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +