open command on dumb terminals?

John Garnett garnett at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Dec 2 16:10:55 AEST 1989

In article <559.nlhp3 at oracle.nl> bengsig at oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
>Is it anyhow possible to use the open command on dumb terminals?
>What I'd like is something like the SysV.3 shl (shell layers).

There's no way that I know of to use the AIX 'open' command on Ascii
terminals ('open' relies on the hft device driver while terminals use
the tty device driver).  AIX doesn't come with shl either.

I have heard of a product known as JSB Multiview that might provide
the function you require (this is not a product endorsement - just
a friendly pointer to a possible solution).  JSB Multiview offers
the AIX Ascii terminal user the capability to open multiple simultaneous
shells using a text-based windowing system.  I think that IBM markets
the program (support is provided by another company).

John Garnett