Unix System Security

A1 karl muhlbach staff karl at polyof.poly.edu
Wed Dec 13 12:14:07 AEST 1989

Dear All:

	I am a senior at Polytechnic University in Farmingdale N.Y.
and I am working on a senior project concerning Unix System
Security.  The project will consist of a program that will traverse
the file system checking for various security flaws and/or actual
violations in security.  I plan on checking for things like
excessive SUID and GUID settings, ln's to user directories etc.. I
also heard that there are a great deal of flaws with mail and UUCP.

	My problem is as follows.  I need to gather together as
much information as possible of the various areas of the Unix
Operating System security flaws.  I need this information to decide
the areas of concentration that I will embark on.  I realize that
no one would and/or could tell me the specific flaws that exist,
after all you don't know whether I am a "good guy" or "bad guy".
Let me assure you all that my intentions are quite honorable and that
you will have to take my word as a gentlemen.

	I would appreciate any information of the various flawed
security areas of Unix and/or leads as to where I might find out
these things.  I have a book called "Unix System Security" by
Patrick Wood but that only covers basic minor flaws. I would like
to make this program as elaborate as possible.

	I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY CORRESPONDENCE CONCERNING THIS
MATTER TO BE SENT VIA EMAIL TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS SINCE IT WOULD
ASSURE ME A QUICKER RETURN AND SINCE I AM NOT ALWAYS ABLE TO CHECK
THE NETWORK FOR REPLIES.

	THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR TIME AND EFFORT IN MY
BEHALF.

						Sincerely,

						Karl M.