cpio Out of phase -- get help

Jon H. LaBadie jon at jonlab.UUCP
Sun Nov 12 01:27:51 AEST 1989

In article <6393 at turnkey.gryphon.COM>, jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
> In article <1178 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
> >I have been shipping many cpio files from a SYSV system to my
> >AIX PS/2 system.  For most of these files, cpio has worked quite nicely.
> >On one, it aborts with:
> >	Out of phase -- get help.
> >What does this mean, and what can I do about it?

If the files you have on the diskette are textual in nature, I have a
final solution.  Note, Jack's mention of afio is one I too would make.

As long as you can read the diskette, it is not a medium (ie. munged
magnetic material) and you can get all of your files onto your hard
disk.  Use either cat /dev/fXXXX or dd -i /dev/fXXXX to create an
image of your diskette on the hard disk.

Once you have that image, you can try to edit it.  HOWEVER, most UNIX
editors have a size limitation - generally about 256K.  It may be
necessary for you to do some "split"ing (check the manual) to get
pieces small enough to edit.

Again, assuming the files are text files, there will be a large block
of text that is an image of the original file.  It will be "surrounded"
by header information that will either be binary or textual depending
on the flags used to create the archive.

Again, assuming text files are archived, you can use the editor to
write those portions of the diskette image that constitute the file.
for example, you may enter the vi command ":29,204w file_one" command.

This would assume that you had deduced that the file you wanted was
in the floppy image between lines 29 and 204.

I suspect by now you are getting the idea of how I would suggest you
proceed.  If you have any questions, contatct me via email.

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, princeton, bcr}!jonlab!jon