AIX PS/2 boot from hard disk - solved

Ge van Geldorp vlruo02 at dutrun.UUCP
Sun Nov 12 07:32:21 AEST 1989

In article <22015 at gryphon.COM> oleg at gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>>[AIX not booting off hard disk on which OS/2 was once installed]
>An even better idea -- was OS/2 partition over 32 Meg in size?  Those
>partitions have a code different from <32 Meg in the MBR and the bootstrap
>you have may not be able to understand it.

This weekend, I experimented a little bit trying to put /etc/masterboot
at the beginning of /dev/hd00, but failed. Since I had prepared myself
for a full low-level reformat of the disk, I didn't try to hard and got
on with the low-level reformat. After that I reinstalled AIX and lo and
behold, it booted ok from the harddisk!
It seems doing a full backup, low-level format and restore was the
penalty I had to pay for even LOOKING at OS/2. Makes you wonder what the
penalty is for actually USING it :-)
Thanks to all the kind people who offered their advice on this one.

Ge van Geldorp
ge at dutlru2.tudelft.nl
...!uunet!hp4nl!dutlru2.tudelft.nl!ge