Job control

Oleg Kiselev oleg at gryphon.COM
Thu Nov 30 19:51:31 AEST 1989

In article <7106 at portia.Stanford.EDU> karish at forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>Oleg Kiselev seems to be complaining about something else, that the
>AIX-PS/2 user interface is different from the 4.3 BSD user interface.

You misunderstood.  I commented on AIX PS/2 being very much BSD-like both on
the user interface level and on the library services level and on the system
call level (unless POSIX compliance required a change).  RT AIX which I had
used did not offer the BSD feel at least on the user level.

I consider BSD feel to be long file names, symlinks (Steve Dyer mentioned
these), job control (^Z suspend character, and background/foreground
operations in C shell), BSD behaviour of tools (ps displaying %memory, %cpu
and virtual space usage for a process, for instance), dbx, ls displaying
multiple columns by default (without the need for -C flag which will screw
you when you try to pipe ls output to a filter -- I know, it's a minor,
insignificant nuisance, but it bugs me!), etc.

ALL of these exist in AIX PS/2 and AIX 370.  Most (if not all) of these are
absent from RT AIX.  That's all I was saying.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg at seas.ucla.edu, oleg at gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg