Re^2: How do you clone a disk?

jim jim at homectl.UUCP
Thu Oct 19 13:52:39 AEST 1989

jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>In article <363 at cs.columbia.edu> ji at cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) writes:
>>I have a bunch of PS/2-80's (and a lot more soon to arrive) with 330MB
>>ESDI drives and I want to be able to have a master disk and clone every
>>machine off that `master' disk.
>
>>Here's what I tried:

  [Stuff deleted suggesting methods tried and something else to try]

  One thing to keep in mind about cloning the ESDI disks is that hidden
someplace on the disk is a defect map.  If you do a byte by byte copy from
one disk to another, you have the potential for messing up that map on
the receiving disk.  There are some safeguards in the ESDI controller that
may or may not prevent you from destroying the defects detected by the
manufactorer, but you can for sure overwrite the defect area for use in
the field.

>Disclaimer: This is in no way an official statement of Locus or IBM.
Ditto

>Jack F. Vogel                  jackv at seas.ucla.edu
>AIX Technical Support                - or -
>Locus Computing Corp.          jackv at ifs.umich.edu

Jim Mott
IBM Austin