void * not handled in AIX C compiler ?

Johann Schweigl johnny at edvvie.at
Fri Oct 6 14:28:43 AEST 1989

>From article <2398 at ibmpa.UUCP>, by webb at bass.tcspa.ibm.com (Bill Webb):
>
> If the AIX compiler claims to be ANSI (I'm not sure if it does), then
> I'd suggest that you do report it as a bug and see if you can get it fixed.

I've got a number of good explanations to this question.
I sum up by citing Karl Heuer:

---
I believe that AIX C is not intended  to be an ANSI C compiler.
(Which is currently right -- johnny)
AIX C supports "void" because it's been part of the language for a decade.
It does not support declaring variables as "void *" because this is
a recent invention, and the compiler  has not yet been upgraded to support
ANSI C.

Despite appearances, it does not support "void *" in a typecast,
either.  The compiler accepts the construct, but it doesn't behave the
way X3J11 says.

The reason that "void *" isn't even accepted in a declaration is because
of an implementation detail of the compiler.  Since "void *" was a
meaningless type in pre-ANSI C, the compiler used that particular
bit-pattern internally to mean "no type", i.e. for undeclared variables.
---

Thanks to you all, johnny
--
This does not reflect the   | Johann  Schweigl | DOS machines?
opinions of my employer.    | johnny at edvvie.at | I don't hate DOS machines.