IBM 6157-002 tape drive and TAR

Steve E. Goldsmith STEVEG at MAINE.BITNET
Sat Oct 14 04:47:17 AEST 1989

Hi net,
  Anyone know how to make tar use the 6157-002 streaming tape drive
to write 150meg tapes? I have DC600XTD tapes in there, 150 meg
cat tapes, but tar seems to be writing the same amount of
data as the 300' tapes.  Any ideas? What device should I use?
I have tried /dev/rmt0,4,8 and 12 all with the same results.
Suggestions appreciated...

Thanks,
/Steve
|                          Steve E. Goldsmith                          |
|                    Technical Services Coordinator                    |
|            University of Maine Computer Science Department           |
| steveG at maine.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu      University of Maine         |
| steveG at maine.maine.edu                   Computer Science Department |
|                                          115 Neville Hall            |
| steve at umecsrt.umcs.maine.edu             Orono, Maine 04469          |
| steve at maineiac.umcs.maine.edu            (207)581-3945               |
|  Program n: A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn   |
|    one's input into error messages. tv.v. To engage in a pasttime    |
|    similar to banging ones head against a wall, but with fewer       |
|    opportunities for reward.                                         |