tar'ing on AIX

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Thu Oct 5 01:44:20 AEST 1989

In article <3163 at quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> abali at parts.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) writes:
>I am planning to carry some files from UNIX Sys V/386
>to AIX on cartridge tapes using the tar format.
>Can it be done? and are there any special considerations?

I believe you should have no problems, but if you want to be guaranteed
success I would recommend you use cpio instead of tar. I have always used
it, and have never had a problem transfering between 386/ix (which is what
turnkey runs) and AIXPS/2. There was some point in the development of the
code in which AIX's tar did some special things (relating to the special
features of the TCF filesystem), this has since been removed for compatability
but I am not sure of the state of the 1.1 version. If you really want to
use tar I would suggest an initial test first.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: These are my opinions, not necessarily Locus' or IBM's.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu