losing /dev/tty ANSWERED

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Sat Oct 21 07:03:41 AEST 1989

In an earlier article I asked about "setpgrp()".  It seems that after a
setpgrp, /dev/tty no longer exists (i.e. an open of /dev/tty fails with
an errno of 6 under AIX PS/2 1.1.)

According to the Tech Ref Vol 1:
   The setpgrp system call ... This is equivalent to setpgid(0,0).

Well I say it is NOT.  After a "setpgrp()", /dev/tty is gone.  After
"setpgid(0,0)" or "setpgid(getpid(),getpid())" /dev/tty is still there.

I read in another newsgroup that SYSV (which has setpgrp) loses /dev/tty
too.  I suppose that the behavior is correct, but I sure wish they would
document this difference.  I may try to get a doc APAR with IBM, if I have
a little time to kill.

Many thanks to Ryan Waldron @ Intergraph (who is running CLIX and not AIX)
for invaluable assistance.
--