Doing simple things with AIX PS/2

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 12 16:37:42 AEST 1989

In article <17129 at rpp386.cactus.org> garnett at rpp386.UUCP (John Garnett) wrote:
[In article <1359 at fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov[ sherman at fcs260c2.UUCP () writes:
[[1) Terminal emulation: When we telnet or rlogin as a vt100 to a non-AIX
[[machine (eg SUN or VMS VAX) vi doesn't work properly.  For example, when
[[you type ^U the top line changes but not the rest of the screen; when you
[[delete a line, it is not deleted from the screen; etc.  Terminal emulation
[[to AIX machines is ok.

[The problem you are experiencing is most likely
[occurring because the SUN's and VAXen that you are logging into probably do not
[have terminfo or termcap entries for the ibm8512, ibm8513, or ibm8514
[that you are using on your AIX PS/2.  The possible solutions include:
[1) adding support for the PS/2 console to the SUN or VAXen's termcap
[or terminfo files.

All terminfo entries for supported AIX monitors in native mode (not X
Windows) are based on the `hft' definition.  The hft software in the
tty driver provides pretty good ANSI terminal emulation.  Use the
`ansi' termcap entry on the Suns.  Works fine for me on ULTRIX
machines.

[2) use the -e vt100 option of AIX telnet to
[cause telnet to emulate a vt100 terminal...

This may be necessary on the VMS machines.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	(415) 493-9000		karish at forel.stanford.edu