inetd weirdness

Oleg Kiselev oleg at gryphon.COM
Sun Oct 29 07:52:13 AEST 1989

In article <6387 at turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>	In this particular case, however, a report will not be necessary
>since I believe the problem is already known.

Not to anyone I talked to.  And the fact that there hasn't been a Tahoe fix
posted (not that I know of, anyway), seems to indicate that noone has noticed
it yet.

>Also, I checked the 4.3tahoe
>source for inetd.c and it appears to be the same, so if the behavior
>does not occur there then I suspect the problem is in the library and
>not inetd itself.

It does not happen because Tahoe's inetd.conf file ends in a bunch of
"internal" services lines, none of which are "multi argument" commands.
I think we had tried this on a 4.3 Tahoe and inetd failed just as badly as
on AIX.

>In any case it will be fixed.

It is fixed in AIX/370.  To get it fixed in AIX/PS2 someone has to file an
APAR, but the severity of the problem is marginal -- there are clear and
unobtrusive work arounds which in no way detract from functionality.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg at seas.ucla.edu, oleg at gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg