Some PS/2 AIX questions

John Garnett garnett at rpp386.cactus.org
Fri Oct 6 09:31:13 AEST 1989

In article <2440 at ibmpa.UUCP> webb at bass.tcspa.ibm.com (Bill Webb) writes:
>> 2.  DOS Merge & X:  Is there any way to specify full screen
>> DOS mode from X?  I can start a DOS Merge window, or type
>> "dos" at a c-shell prompt and get DOS in that window.  Is the
>> only way to get full-screen DOS to exit X first?
>> Wendy Ross
>
>What you'd like to be able to do is "open dos" but that didn't work
>from an X window even when I tried to subvert stdin etc. (sigh), so I
>suggest that you hot-key to the console and type "open dos" from there.

Have you tried using:

XMERGE=TRUE
export XMERGE
xopen dos

from inside an aixterm (xterm) window?  This should create a new virtual
session containing a full screen DOS session.  Use Alt-Action (Alt-Control
on unmodified PS/2 keyboards) to switch back to the X-Windows session.
You will find that the "xopen" command has created an Icon entitled "dos".
Clicking on this icon will switch to the full screen DOS Merge session.
Xopen will work with any executable program (even another invocation of
the X-Server if you have enough system resources).

It might be useful to you to include the three commands suggested
above into a shell script named "fsdos" for example.  You could
then type "xopen fsdos" as long as fsdos was in your PATH.