LU6.2 conversation in a single AIX machine

Jeff Miller jsm at Apple.COM
Fri Oct 6 02:37:12 AEST 1989

In article <1507 at csib.csi.3Com.Com> wclark at csib (Wayne Clark) writes:
>There are two ways that the LU 6.2 architecture supports conversations between
>two Transaction Programs at the same node:
>  (1) ALLOCATE LU(OWN) aka Option Set 204 (in the latest Transaction
>      Programmer's Reference Manual) which allows conversations between 2 TP's
>      at the same LU, and
>  (2) Local Path Control routing.  Path Control at the local node should be
>      able to detect Partner Logical Unit names that really reside on the
>      local node instead of a remote node.
>
>While these issues are addressed in the architecture, product reality is quite
>different!  Very few implementations of LU 6.2 anywhere provide (1) and the
>capability of (2), if it exists at all, is embedded deep inside the SNA
>implementation and probably not mentioned in external documents.

Just for the curious, Apple's MacAPPC product does provide (1) as
well as (2), although I believe the actual implementation for talking
between two LUs at the same node is a little strange.  To the TP programmer,
however, it is very straightforward to do both these things.  This doesn't
help you for AIX, but you could always buy a Macintosh :-).

Jeff Miller