void * not handled in AIX C compiler ?

Bill Webb webb at bass.tcspa.ibm.com
Wed Oct 4 10:00:30 AEST 1989

> AIX C allows the use of void functions, and the (void *) typecast.
> Declaring a variable as void * does not work. The effect is the same
> as if the variable had never been defined. ...
>        EDV Ges.m.b.H Vienna              Johann Schweigl
>        Hofmuehlgasse 3 - 5               USENET: johnny at edvvie.at
>        A-1060 Vienna, Austria      Tel: (0043) (222) 59907 257 (8-19 CET)

I'd say that you're right. The AOS 4.3 RT hc compilers all compiled the
code without problem (except for warnings about not using variable foo).
Pcc on the other hand gave exactly the same complaints as the AIX compiler.

	foo = (void *) &bar;

If the AIX compiler claims to be ANSI (I'm not sure if it does), then
I'd suggest that you do report it as a bug and see if you can get it fixed.