diskette copying in rt/aix

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Sat Oct 14 08:43:53 AEST 1989

In article <1957 at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> tim at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
(Timothy Jones) wrote:

>How do I make copies of diskettes under rt/aix?  I'm trying to make
>backups of some "installp" diskettes.

The brute-force method is to use dd to write each diskette's contents
to the hard disk, then copy them back to another diskette, also with
dd.

Installp uses backup format, like updatep.  I've had good luck using
restore to read the files from diskette into a directory hierarchy on
hard disk, then use backup to collect the hierarchy into a single file
in hard disk.  Updatep can use such a file to apply an update, given a
command line like

updatep -aci -d filename

The same approach will, very probably, work with installp.  Read the
diskettes once, create a single archive file, and transfer it to other
hosts by FTP.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	(415) 493-9000		karish at forel.stanford.edu