Help! UB ethernet controller losing A LOT of packets

John Ioannidis ji at close.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 3 08:47:51 AEST 1989

I installed an Ungermann-Bass ethernet controller in my PS2/80 running
AIX 1.1.0, and the thing is apparently losing one out of three-four
packets. The symptoms are bizarre: pinging will get replies for four
or five consecutive packets, then lose two or three,, then get replies
for another four, then lose three or for, and so on. This happens both
when I'm pinging another machine from the PS2 and when I'm pinging the
PS2 from another machine. Network connections also behave very
erratically; a telnet link will suddenly block, stare at me for a few
seconds, then flood the screen with whatever it should have been
printing all along.

It's not a hardware problem. I tried it on three different PS2s with
three different controllers. I don't feel like trying it on more...

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any hints?

Thanks,

/ji