How do you clone a disk?

John Ioannidis ji at close.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 16 12:51:41 AEST 1989

In article <6384 at turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>In article <363 at cs.columbia.edu> ji at cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) writes:
>>I have a bunch of PS/2-80's (and a lot more soon to arrive) with 330MB
>>ESDI drives and I want to be able to have a master disk and clone every
>>machine off that `master' disk.

>all the clones with the same site name, not really desireable in real
>world situations. Perhaps in a lab or some such situation it wouldn't matter.

Thanks for all the info. I'll try it. However, the above statement is
not very accurate. The only place the "machine name" is used in the
system is for network connections. /etc/rc has a line SITE=`uname -n`,
and SITE is only used by /etc/rc.tcpip to ifconfig the network
interface. By seting SITE to `cat /etc/HOSTNAME`, I can have all my
machines have exactly the same name as far as AIX is concerned, and
still get my work done. I fail to see the reason why the hostname
should be hardwired in two dozen different files and directories.

Thanks again,

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji at cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 5510
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027