Connecting AIX PS/2 to Modems

Hannu Strang hhs at penguin.hut.fi
Wed Oct 25 10:08:08 AEST 1989

I have problems using AIX PS/2 with modems and would like to know what are
the correct settings in devices program and /etc/ports for a modem line.
If AIX wants some modem signals permanently on, a list of those would also
be helpful. AIX manuals don't say much about this.

With my current settings the modem answers correctly and also hangs up
when doing "stty 0". The main problem is, that when the modem disconnects
unexpectedly because of our friendly telephone company's noisy lines
AIX doesn't seem to notice anything. It doesn't send HUP signal to my
processes and they are still running when I call the system again.
That is, after reconnection I get my previous csh prompt and not the
login prompt. This is quite annoying.

I would also like the modem lines to be bi-directional.

The machine is a PS/2 Model 80-111 with two Dual Asynchronous cards. I have
tried ports tty0 and tty2 with many different settings. The modem is a
Multitech V.32 with Hayes compatible command set and the RS232 speed
permanently set to 19200.