AIX on PC

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.ISC.COM
Tue Sep 26 16:07:50 AEST 1989

oleg at gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>...pajerek at isctsse.UUCP (Donald Pajerek) writes:
> >And get a *fast* disk!  AIX generates *lots* of disk activity.
>
> Virtual demand paged memory will do that to you.

Come on now.  The effect of demand-paging is to reduce the memory in use as
compared to a system which requires complete memory residence for a program
to execute.  There's some increase due to (effectively) scatter-loading
programs on startup.  But that should be more than offset by being able to
reclaim usable pages from the free list as programs are re-executed.

Let's be honest--the disk activity, if it's due to paging, is due to fat
programs and a fat kernel.  I'm not throwing stones at AIX, either;
virtually (sic) all recent UNIXoid systems are suffering from the same
obesity.  The kernels are getting fatter as fast as they can eat, and
application programmers are all too willing to believe that "virtual
memory" means "it ain't real, so use as much as you want."

> 			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

...and no excuses!
--
+---------+     Dick Dunn    rcd at ico.isc.com    ico!rcd      (303)449-2870
| In this |        4th annual MadHatterDay [10/6/89]:
|  style  |        A Kinder, Gentler Fool's Day