Tape Drive Parms

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Thu Sep 28 08:15:35 AEST 1989

jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>In article <1132 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>>Does anyone have the magic numbers for a 6157-002 tape drive?
>>I'm looking for the fun stuff that the backup command needs like

>Kevin, the place you want to look I believe (the problem is that I have
>looked in the docs for the next release and not the AIXPS/2 manual) is
>the man page for backup itself.

I am looking forward to AIX 1.2, because its doc MUST be better than
1.1.  The backup command page in the manual basically shows the switches
and then in italics says stuff like "density" and "length" and never
gives the values for IBM's drive.

(This sort of thing leads me to believe that IBM needs some sort of Q.A.
testing on the AIX doc.  Anyone who sits down to use the machine to
take a backup is going to wind-up with the same question, unless they
just let it use the defaults.  My guess is that the defaults are for the
older 6157, and not the 6157-002.

As an aside, are these drives writing QIC format?  SHould I be able
to move tapes between my AIX system and my 3B2?
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin