AIX Documentation

Ed Matthews edm at vrdxhq.verdix.com
Fri Sep 29 22:13:47 AEST 1989

In article <2132 at hydra.gatech.EDU> tad at hydra.gatech.edu.UUCP (Tad K. Mannes) writes:

>I've heard that one of the greatest features of AIX is the documentation,
>but I've seen a number of references here about problems with its doc.
>I've heard that the documentation will have an index for error messages
>from various daemons and the kernel, making problem diagnosis a little
>easier.  Is this bunk or is it really any better than the usual Unix(r)
>documentation?

It's true -- It's true!  AIX documentation (RT 2.2.1) is better than any
Unix documentation I've ever seen.  But, it's not the world's best
documentation.  If you've ever read an IBM manual, you know what to expect.
(I've read a few -- used to work for them before discovering the joys of
Unix).  Does have an index for error messages -- quite a few too.  But, guess
what -- when I was having problems with installing my Ethernet card, the
messages I was receiving were not in there!  I think the messages were coming
from the TCP/IP daemon -- conclusion:  not all messages from all daemons
are included.  I've got about twenty manuals, not including the ones on X.

--

Ed Matthews                                                edm at verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600