Changing ULIMIT

John OBrien johno at dduck.ctt.bellcore.com
Wed Apr 11 23:22:53 AEST 1990

In article <1281 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>In /etc/master, ulim_file had "default = 8192".  I changed this to
>"default = 50000".  Then I build a new kernel via
>"cd /usr/sys" and "./newkernel".  I booted the new kernel.  When I issue
>a "ulimit" command from the shell (/bin/sh), it still reports 8192.
>
>What gives?  A similar process works nicely on my other UNIX boxes (SYSV).
>--
>Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347

You need to make the change in the /etc/system file in the sysparms
section.  Then run the newkernal command. For example:

sysparms:
	buffers=400
	ulim_file=64000

increases my I/O buffers and changes the default ulimit size.

John O'Brien                           | "And you run and you run to catch up
..!bellcore!ctt!johno or johno at ctt    |  to the sun but it's sinking."
(201) 699-8788