Copying Diskettes

Ed Clarke/10240000 clarke at acheron.uucp
Mon Aug 6 01:35:36 AEST 1990

>From article <26B9D6A8.8507 at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, by rob at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Rob McDonald):
> I need to copy a lot of diskettes on our RT running AIX 2.2.1.  I have two
> 1.2 Mb floppies.  If I use:
> 		dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/fd1
> it takes a ridiculous amount of time.  Is there a faster way? (Maybe the
> right way?)

You left off blocksize so it copies 512 bytes at a time. Try:

	dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/fd1 bs=256k

I did the same thing.  You'll be amazed at the difference ...
--
               | "Pain, n.  An uncomfortable frame of mind that may have
Ed Clarke      |  a physical basis in something that is being done to the
acheron!clarke |  body, or may be purely mental, caused by the good fortune