RS/6000 AIX release code

Wendy Ross wross at mondo.engin.umich.edu
Tue Aug 7 11:48:08 AEST 1990

Could someone please help clear up a huge amount of confusion!
What *is* the release code, and how do we know when we've got it?

Our SE claims that 9021 (Golden) is the release code.
We've had 9021 loaded on two of our RS/6000s for several weeks now.

Upon receiving a preloaded machine, we assumed that too had release
code on it.  We became suspicious when we noticed subtle differences
between the preloaded machine and the 9021 machines.
(I'm not talking about Xdesktop stuff, either!)

Just today someone else from IBM claimed that several releases of 9021
were out, some more updated than others.  They also claimed that some
machines preloaded earlier than others could be different.

Our SE received "release" tapes after receiving 9021 tapes.  He still
claims that 9021 code is the same code, however.  We, unfortunately,
received our "release" code on 3.5" floppy diskettes.  I haven't touched
these yet, and was hoping to avoid shoving 108+ floppies through a machine.

I am trying to set up a "release" code template on a server machine to
use for network loading.  I have a 9021 bos image, which I dd'd
from the 9021 tape.  We tried dd'ing our SE's "release" tape, but to no
avail for some reason which might have to do with the fact that our tape
drives (cartridge) need hardware upgrades, but we aren't sure because
no-one seems to know for sure what the tape hardware upgrades are supposed
to do.  In addition, his "release" tape is in a different format than
the 9021 tape, and is apparently bootable.

Could someone please help?  Is 9021 the release version?  What are the
different versions floating around out there?  What are the preloaded
machines preloaded with?  How do I make a bos image for network installation
from a "release" bootable tape?  What are the tape hardware upgrades
supposed to do, anyhow?  Who really shot J.R.?

Many thanks to whomever can help.

Wendy Ross
internet: wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
<Insert Amusing Quip Here>