RCS 4.2 diffs (was: Re: Installing MU-Prolog on a RS/6000 (AIX))

drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com
Mon Aug 6 06:16:26 AEST 1990

In article <700 at sol.deakin.OZ.AU> lukose at deakin.OZ.AU (Dickson Lukose) writes:
>Prior to transfer of our applications, the following software[s] will have
>to be installed on the RS/6000 are:-
>	* RCS
>
>Has anyone out there has any experience in porting the above software[s] on
>to a RS/6000.

I've successfully ported RCS to AIX Version 3 ... here are the diffs:

For rcslex.c:

*** rcslex.c	Fri Apr 27 14:11:23 1990
--- rcslex.c.original	Fri Apr 27 14:11:29 1990
***************
*** 680,688 ****

! int fprintf(iop, fmt, va_alist)
  FILE *iop;
! const char *fmt;
  va_dcl
  /* Function: formatted output. Same as fprintf in stdio,
   * but aborts program on error
--- 680,688 ----

! fprintf(iop, fmt, va_alist)
  FILE *iop;
! char *fmt;
  va_dcl
  /* Function: formatted output. Same as fprintf in stdio,
   * but aborts program on error

For the Makefile:  (naturally some of the path names are locally defined)

*** Makefile	Sat Jul  7 11:49:09 1990
--- Makefile.original	Fri Apr 27 14:11:29 1990
***************
*** 38,48 ****
  #

  DIFF      = /bin/diff
! DIFF3     = /usr/bin/diff3

  # 2.  Figure out where to put the RCS commands; define RCSDIR accordingly.

! RCSDIR  = /usr/almaden/k56c/bin

  # 3.  Figure out where to put your old RCS commands; define OLDDIR
--- 38,48 ----
  #

  DIFF      = /bin/diff
! DIFF3     = /usr/lib/diff3

  # 2.  Figure out where to put the RCS commands; define RCSDIR accordingly.

! RCSDIR  = /usr/local/bin

  # 3.  Figure out where to put your old RCS commands; define OLDDIR
***************
*** 75,81 ****
  # 6.  Decide what loader flags you need, and define LDFLAGS accordingly.
  #     On the Vax you need none, on PDP-11s with split i/d you need -i.
  #LDFLAGS  = -i
! LDFLAGS   = -lbsd

  # 7.  RCS can maintain a log of the use of the co and ci commands. If you
  #     want the logging, you must
--- 75,81 ----
  # 6.  Decide what loader flags you need, and define LDFLAGS accordingly.
  #     On the Vax you need none, on PDP-11s with split i/d you need -i.
  #LDFLAGS  = -i
! LDFLAGS   =

  # 7.  RCS can maintain a log of the use of the co and ci commands. If you
  #     want the logging, you must
***************
*** 86,96 ****
  #     If you don't want the logging of command usage, omit the SNOOP and
  #     SNOOPFILE definitions from CFLAGS.
  #     The two variants of the CFLAG macros are given below.
! #SNOOPFILE = /usr/log/rcslog/log
! #SNOOP	= /usr/local/bin/snoop

! DEFINES= $(OS) -DSIGNAL_TYPE=$(SIGNAL_TYPE) -DSTRICT_LOCKING=$(LOCKING) -DDIFF='"$(DIFF)"' -DCO='"${RCSDIR}/co"' -DMERGE='"${RCSDIR}/merge"'
! CFLAGS	= -O $(DEFINES) -D_NO_PROTO
  LINTFLAGS = -c -u
  LINT = lint $(LINTFLAGS) -Dlint $(DEFINES)

--- 86,96 ----
  #     If you don't want the logging of command usage, omit the SNOOP and
  #     SNOOPFILE definitions from CFLAGS.
  #     The two variants of the CFLAG macros are given below.
! SNOOPFILE = /usr/log/rcslog/log
! SNOOP	= /usr/local/bin/snoop

! DEFINES= -DCOMPAT2 $(OS) -DSIGNAL_TYPE=$(SIGNAL_TYPE) -DSTRICT_LOCKING=$(LOCKING) -DDIFF='"$(DIFF)"' -DCO='"${RCSDIR}/co"' -DMERGE='"${RCSDIR}/merge"'
! CFLAGS	= -O $(DEFINES)
  LINTFLAGS = -c -u
  LINT = lint $(LINTFLAGS) -Dlint $(DEFINES)

That's it.

>Can anyone give me some pointers as to what are the differences between the
>4.3 BSD UNIX and AIX 3.

Check in /usr/lpp/bos for several excellent papers on the subject.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake at ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861