AIX 3.1 paging space

hdb bonnett at umd5.umd.edu
Fri Aug 24 22:22:48 AEST 1990

* Discussion of xlc's insatiable appetite for swap space *

I have run into another page space quirk, this one with tar.
When I attempt to untar a LARGE (86megs) file on my 530 I
get lots of disk action and after a few minutes a last gasp
from tar: "Low on Paging Space!!!" and a crash. I have 48mb
RAM and 64 Mb of Swap.  From what I can tell, tar should
fail if the link table is too large, but it should not read
the entire file into memory.  Also, if you are running X(Motif)
with redirected console, you get no error message, just a locked
machine. Does anyone have an idea what gives?

-dave bonnett; Academic Software Dev Grp. Univ of MD