TCP/IP NIS on multiplatform network

Chuck yukit at silma.com
Wed Aug 1 05:29:32 AEST 1990

We have just bought our first RS6000 and are now trying to hook it up
to our network, which consists of machines from SUN, Apollo, Silicon
Graphics and Intergraph.  Everybody runs under NFS and our YP server
is a SUN 3/60 running under SUN 0S 4.0.3.

We have some interesting problems when we tried to install NIS (YP).
We followed the procedure outlined by the Info-Explorer, configured
everything using SMIT, and everything seems to work fine until we
restart the system.  We keep getting error messages such as:
ypbind: cannot register service: RPC
ypbind: unable to register(NLM_PROG, NLM_VERS, tcp)
ypbind: unable to register(SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp)
ypbind: send error, permission denied ....  etc
ypbind fails every time when we reboot the system!

We can successfully start ypbind if we go into SMIT, start TCP/IP
manually, and then manually start NIS client service.  Any hint
on why we cannot start ypbind properly during system boot up?

The same symptoms happen when we try NFS mounts on remote file
system.  We cannot mount remote directories during system boot up,
but can mount them in SMIT or using the "mount" command.
/etc/filesystems seem to be updated properly, but our system just
refuses to work automatically.

Also, rlogin seems incredibly slow when we try to remote login from
the RS6000 to other machines on the network.  Anybody has similar
experiences?

Chuck Lau
Silma Inc
1601 Saratoga-Sunnyvale Rd