DOS Merge -- "access denied"

Sassan Behzadi sassan at locus.com
Wed Aug 29 12:04:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug28.180409.22536 at athena.mit.edu> dyer at arktouros.mit.edu (Steve Dyer) writes:

>One of our users is trying to run a large Clipper database
>application under DOS Merge under AIX PS/2 1.2, using
>the UNIX file system as a DOS network drive. .......
>
>One apparent consequence of this is that it is not possible
>to run more than one copy of the application on the same PS/2
>at a time.  That is, if I start up two copies of DOS Merge
>and attempt to run the EXE, the first DOS Merge successfully
>runs the application, but the second DOS Merge returns at
>the C: prompt with 'Access Denied' when the program is
>invoked.
>
>Can anyone DOS network savvy and/or DOS Merge savvy
>comment on a workaround?

What happens if you set your C: drive as a "local" (non-Network) drive?
You can use the MERGE command to do this:

		C> merge set drive local
		C> merge set handle local

now try running the application. You may have to do this in all your
DOS sessions running the Clipper database.

Setting your C: drive as a non-network drive may let you startup
multiple Clipper applications but the application might not function
as a multiuser database. It's worth a try though.

This could also be a real permissions problem, can the same user
startup multiple instances of the same application?