Sendmail problems on RS/6000 (+ othe UUCP stuff)

Chuck Karish karish at mindcrf.UUCP
Fri Aug 17 18:56:57 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug14.044632.13957 at edm.uucp> geoff at edm.uucp
proot at ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
>>>When uucp mail is received it gets upset that there is no @ in the path.
>
>	I to saw the same problem when I first installed the OS in our
>6000. The message is a no @ in the SMTP address error. Seeing as the path
>given to mail was machine!user I didn't expect to see an @. I played around
>with the cf file with no luck so I took the easy way out and put smail 3.1
>on the box.

    I saw this message when I used bang paths on a machine that had
    no actual UUCP connections, but was supposed to forward mail
    to a `smart host' that has UUCP links.  It complained about
    outgoing mail; I never saw the problem on incoming, but I never
    tried to provoke it.  Using 'user at host.uucp' did the trick;
    a simple rewriting rule in sendmail.cf could have done it for me.

>	Right now I'm wary of anything that uses UUCP. I came across a
>problem today with uux. On our System V (actualy CTIX 6) we do remote
>prinitng by putting the line
>
>uux -c machine!lp !$file
>
>in the interface file in place of the usual cat $file line.
>
>When sending files to the 6000 for this it returns a message to uucp account
>that the spooler can't find /usr/spool/uucp/.Xqtdir/<filename>. Any ideas on
>this one. As well in there documentation they say that

    The file is probably owned by uucp and denies read/write access to
    group and others, including the `daemon' or `lpd' user and the
    `printq' group.  If the file exists at all; if the command below is
    an example of what you're trying to do, I'm not sure it should
    exist.

>uux -C machine!command file operates on file on the local machine. Does it
>not need a ! in front to tell it it's on the local machine?????

    If you use uux, the machine is really going to try to do a uucp
    transfer.  Unless your machine has a line with its own name
    in its Systems file, telling it how to call itself, nothing
    you put on the command line should cause uux to execute a local
    command.

    The -C flag is documented to cause the file named on the command
    line to be copied to the public spool directory on the local
    machine when the command request is spooled for later execution.
    It has nothing to do with executing commands on the local host.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000