burning up over AIX PS/2 1.2 1005 update

Steve Dyer dyer at arktouros.mit.edu
Tue Aug 21 05:47:56 AEST 1990

I really had to put my 2 cents in about the format of the latest
AIX PS/2 1.2 update, 1005.  It comprises 19 disks in AIX backup/restore
format.  There are 14 or 15 LPPs which can be updated.  If your
AIX system (as many do) consists of more than a few of these LPP
(read: all of 'em), you end up inserting up to 19 disks up to
15 times.  At the very least, the LPPs which reside on the
later diskettes require you to insert and have scanned the
previous diskettes.  Each of the LPP updates is considered
separately, which is why the whole operation approaches O(N^2).

It is now 3:30PM, and I have been swapping diskettes since
11AM this morning.  Not only is the procedure long, it requires
constant supervision, since a disk swap has to occur approximately
every three minutes.  What a waste of time!

Could someone at IBM Palo Alto or Austin please give me
a charge number so I can bill them for the hours I've wasted.
(No :-)).

---
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka ...!{harvard,linus,ima,m2c,rayssd}!spdcc!dyer