Connectivity problems With IBM

Chuck Karish karish at mindcrf.UUCP
Wed Aug 15 04:12:22 AEST 1990

In article <6101 at hub.ucsb.edu> erickson at pollux.ncgia.ucsb.edu
(Scott Erickson) writes:

>And simple programs like "install" don't work right on the RS6000.
>All of my favorite switches like -o, -g, -m have been changed to
>upper case.  Now, I'm sure these some mode or path somewhere you can
>set to get the real install, but if you login to one of these systems
                 ^^^^
>with simple program source and type "make install", it won't!

    All the world's not a VAX (though AIX executables do have
    zeros at address 0), and there's no one, true UNIX that
    all good implementations must slavishly follow.

    The changes were made to avert conflicts with flags used by
    System V versions of install.  If they hadn't been made,
    some System V users would be complaining just as loudly.

>Sure, each OS has its peculiarities.  I just find that AIX 3 seems to
>be too different in some of the *basic* programs (like install).

    install is a basic program?  I usually use cp or mv instead;
    they're more portable, and install is inexcusably slow on
    some systems.

>I've had nothing but bad luck with the pre-releases OS's crashing the
>system, and now that at a fairly stable OS is out, I can't just bring
>my local software over without lots of pains.

    I don't recall whether they've been mentioned here before, but IBM
    has made available two guides to AIX 3.1 for 4.3 BSD users.
    They're called `AIXv3 for 4.3 BSD System Administrators' and
    `Porting 4.3 BSD Programs to AIX Version 3.1'.  They're a bit big
    (100K and 65K, respectively), but if there's enough interest it
    might be worthwhile to split them up and post them.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000