RS/6000 AIX release code

au0005 at dundee.austin.ibm.com au0005 at dundee.austin.ibm.com
Wed Aug 8 01:43:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug7.023354.21179 at world.std.com>,
> Subject: Re: RS/6000 AIX release code
> Date: 7 Aug 90 02:33:54 GMT
>
> wross at caen.engin.umich.edu (Wendy Ross) writes:
> >Is 9021 the release version?
>
> According to our IBM rep 9021F is golden.  I spent a lot of time on
> the phone last week getting that information out of him.

This is correct. 9021F is the Golden code.

> The 9021 tape we have bears no markings indicating it as either F or
> golden (unlike the info tape).  So far as I know it's not bootable --
> you have to stuff in diskettes before it loads from the tape.  Didn't
> try booting it though.

The 9021 tape you have would most probably be 9021E2. This is the 'base'
or 'silver' code that was built. You require the 9021E2.toF update to
bring you fully to golden code for the BOS. If you are on Gold code,
an lslpp -h should produce a level for bos of 03.01.0000.0001

The bootable tape does exist. It is not shipped generally as it requires
that some tape drives have an ecn fitted ( I think a firmware chage ).

Regards,

Peter May,
Australian Assignee to IBM Austin.

#include <standard_disclaimer.h>

/*
 * Comments and Opinions etc. etc. expressed are my own:
 * I doubt very much that IBM wants them!
 */