AIX 1.2 for PS/2, SendMail/NFS problems

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Fri Aug 3 11:45:02 AEST 1990

jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) writes:

>In article <1012 at cameron.egr.duke.edu> amr at dukee.egr.duke.edu (Anthony M. Richardson) writes:
>>I mount a particular directory on another machine over a user directory...
>>Everything seems to work fine after that except for mail.  If I just
>>type "mail" the program hangs.

>I think this must be due to file locking over NFS not being supported.
>I don't have access to PS/2 code, but I can tell you how to get mail to
>work on another directory, e.g. /usr/mail.

I would not recommend doing this with a directory in the root file
system (in part because of paranoia about touching the root, in part
because there is a bit of overhead with replicated file systems (even
if you aren't using TCF), and in part because I think you might run into
some bugs if you don't have the appropriate updates installed).  If you
are using TCF (or plan to use TCF) I would not recommend anywhere in the
LOCAL file system either.  I think any other non-replicated file system
with sufficient free space would make sense.

Usual disclaimer: these are personal opinions, not necessarily those
of Locus or IBM.

Richard M. Mathews
Locus Computing Corporation
richard at locus.com