For Ken Dillman (IBM AIX Invitational Porting Center)

hdb bonnett at umd5.umd.edu
Wed Aug 15 00:12:34 AEST 1990

Sorry for the post; my mailer hates ! paths....

Ken,
  What is occurring is as follows:
  1.) When I go the route that you recommended {smit-f/s-add-cdrom}
	I am told that there ain't none of that there type... SO

  2.) I bop over to the devices menu and go to cdrom. It tells me
	that I don't got none of them "defined" but I do have one sup-
	ported {cdrom1 scsi     CD-ROM Drive} Ok Now I know it is there
	and it (the ODMCFG I believe the name is) knows it is there, but
	when I go to Add a CD ROM drive, it likes my drive type
	{cdrom1 scsi CD-ROM Drive} and it likes my Parent Adapter
	{scsi0 Available 00-08 SCSI I/O Controller} BUT it most definitely
	does not like anything that I offer up for Connection address.
	My 150mB tape drive is connected at 00-08-00-60 according to
	the God of SMIT, so I am assuming that the adapter is hunk-dory.

   3.) I talked to me local support person (G.Abboud out of B-more)
	and he and I walked through this over the phone. He is not sure
	what is happening here either.  He suggested that I call in a SE
	to poke around at the cabling and switch settings inside.  I am
	probably going to do this, since he said that they get most sad
	when us software types play with the hardware....

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I am definitely open to any
suggestions that you may have for figuring this out.

-dave bonnett-
      bonnett at umd5.umd.edu