stty 0 -- doesn't drop dtr

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Fri Aug 31 22:45:58 AEST 1990

On occasion, "stty 0" does not drop DTR on my 6000 or my PS/2.
If executed directly (i.e. from my login shell), it always drops DTR, and
my modem drops the connection.  If executed from deep within an application
(written in house) it never drops the line.

However, if I replace getty in /etc/inittab with "slowgetty" (a program I wrote
to sleep 5 and then exec getty), DTR is always dropped.

My guess is that somehow, getty is doing an open on the port before my last
process has been "removed" from the port.

Note that this same code works perfectly (i.e. stty0 always drops DTR) on
my AT&T 3B2 (SYSV R3.2.1).

Any suggestions as to what is happening here would be appreciated.
I am loath to use the "slowgetty" approach, because I fear that when the
system is heavilly loaded, it might take longer that "sleep 5", and I do not
want excessive delays between incoming calls.

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."