AIX 3.1 paging space

au0005 at dundee.austin.ibm.com au0005 at dundee.austin.ibm.com
Sat Aug 25 04:32:46 AEST 1990

In article <7170 at umd5.umd.edu>, bonnett at umd5.umd.edu (hdb) writes:
> From: bonnett at umd5.umd.edu (hdb)
> Subject: Re: AIX 3.1 paging space
> Date: 24 Aug 90 12:22:48 GMT
>
> * Discussion of xlc's insatiable appetite for swap space *
>
> I have run into another page space quirk, this one with tar.
> When I attempt to untar a LARGE (86megs) file on my 530 I
> get lots of disk action and after a few minutes a last gasp
> from tar: "Low on Paging Space!!!" and a crash. I have 48mb
> RAM and 64 Mb of Swap.  From what I can tell, tar should
> fail if the link table is too large, but it should not read
> the entire file into memory.  Also, if you are running X(Motif)
> with redirected console, you get no error message, just a locked
> machine. Does anyone have an idea what gives?
>
> -dave bonnett; Academic Software Dev Grp. Univ of MD

Tar has been fixed. The problem was it was trying to read as much of
the input file into memory as it could. With a Virtual Address space
the size the Risc System/6000 has this can accomodate quite large files!

It's in the next PTF available from the IBM support centers.

Regards,

Peter May.

Peter May,
Advisory Program Services Representative.

IBM Australia.
Sydney Support Center,
1-55 Rothschild Avenue,
Rosebery. NSW. 2018. Australia.

AWDNet: au0005 at dundee.austin.ibm.com, peter at price.austin.ibm.com
Vnet  : AU0005 at AUSVMQ, PETERMAY at SYDVM1.
uucp  : ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!price.austin.ibm.com!peter
        ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!dundee.austin.ibm.com!croc

... An Aussie lost in Austin ...

#include <standard.disclaimer>

/* My comments are my own: I do not represent IBM here in any way. */