GCC and G++ for RS/6000 ?

Steven Furber steven at m2xenix.psg.com
Sun Aug 5 08:52:22 AEST 1990

In article <176 at hafro.is> heimir at hafro.is (Heimir Sverrisson) writes:

>Has someone written the backend for the GNU compliers for the RS/6000?
>I heard that FSF has such a machine, is that true?

>From what conversations I have had with the local IBM RS/6000 SE's, GNU
products are not going to be ported or supported by IBM; EMACS was
dropped because of the current lawsuit that is going on.

Something that I pointed out to the SE who was at work last week was
that the XLC compiler seems to choke on a lot of "standard" C code,
making easy ports that work on other *NIX platforms a pain.  When he
asked what I saw as a solution I suggestd GCC, since it would open up
the doors to the rest of the GNU universe and the code written thereof.
Since there is (from my understadning) no money that IBM can make off of
a port, the SE doesn't see where IBM would get into it-- even if the
lawsuit is settled.

PS: I know nothing at all about compiler design.  All I know is that IBM
is not interested in supporting non-ANSI and non-POSIX code, which makes
it pretty difficult for me to get around on an operating system that has
enough "features", "flaws", and "character" to make me wish the old 286
XENIX box had enough capacity to keep being used.