Network problems with RS6000

Paul Jarvis cmaajpj at cc.imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 01:41:52 AEST 1990

I seem to have some trouble with the TCP/IP communications software on an
RS/6000 model 530, running at release system level 9021.
The symptoms are as follows:

  1.  Any network access, such as ftp, telnet, rlogin, ping, mount imposes
      a one to two minute wait both when trying to connect into the
      machine and when trying to call out. Once the initial connection is
      made, response in the session is normal.

  2.  Several times the communications software seems to sulk for no
      apparent reason. Call-out attempsts timed out, while call-in attempts
      were terminated with a 'connection refused' message.
      Sometimes the rebooting the machine helps, sometimes restarting the
      network software with the mktcpip command, sometimes blipping the
      address resolution protocol with

      chdev -l en0 -a arp='off'       followed by
      chdev -l en0 -a arp='on'

      But none of these actions predictibly yields working communications
      again.

   3. Sometimes ( but not always) I get at boot time the following messages:

      starting TCP/IP daemons
      /etc/syslogd: ERROR: '57' getsockname, SRC not found, continuing
      .. without SRC support
              syslogd
      0781-222 /usr/lpd/lpd: ERROR: '57' getsockname, SRC not found,
      .. continuing without SRC support

                       Paul Jarvis
                      (pj at cc.ic.ac.uk)