AIX(s)

Paul Jarvis cmaajpj at cc.imperial.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 23:36:29 AEST 1990

While on the subject of compatability between versions of AIX how
about trying csh. In a csh shell try:-

           set fs9 = 1234
           echo ${fs9}

This works fine on AIX PS/2 but fails miserably on the RTs and
RS6000s. When reported to IBM tech support the reply was that
this error occurs on many other vendors implementations, I find
the inconsistency amusing.

While on the subject of jokes, try asking IBM technical support
(United Kingdom) how to install a 3com ethernet card into a PS/2
model 80 running AIX. Unless actually trying to do this the
dialog is hilarious!

Disclaimer: All comments are my own (but are probably shared
            by many happy users).

Paul Jarvis, Computer Centre, Imperial College, London
pj at cc.ic.ac.uk