3com cards on AIX (PS/2)

Jack N. Fenner jfenne at super.ORG
Sat Aug 25 01:44:44 AEST 1990

Yes, there is support for the 3COM Ethernet adapter under AIX V1.2 available.  It was
included as part of the non-integrated function library (i.e. it didn't go through
full IBM software test).  As many of you are aware, the version that went
out with the released code did not work.  There is, however, a fix for the code.  My
group developed the original code, and also the fix for V1.2.  We have been assured
that the fix is being included in the updates, but I'm not sure that's always the
case.

Anyway, if you are looking for this fix, and the updates didn't do it then you can
get it from my group.  The fastest way (believe it or not) is to have your
IBM representative send a VNet (the IBM network) note to RIPLEYR at RCKVM1 or to
have him or her call Rodney Ripley on tie line 372/2048.

If you don't know who your IBM rep is, or you don't feel satisfied with the response
you get, send me some mail (jfenne at super.com) and I'll look into it.  Please include
your location and the name of your IBM rep (if known).  I'd also be interested in
hearing about what updates you've applied.

One last thing:  The 3COM and Ungermann-Bass Ethernet adapters are mutually
exclusive under AIX V1.2.  If you have the U-B adapter installed, delete it from
your list of device drivers.

--

Jack Fenner           IBM Federal Sector Division Advanced Programs, Gaithersburg MD
		      Temporarily assigned to Supercomputing Research Center, Bowie MD