Miscellaneous questions - RS6000

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Dec 10 07:56:03 AEST 1990

In article <4585 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> ijlustig at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Irvin Lustig) writes:
>4) I heard a rumor that Radio Shack is suing IBM for trademark
>   infringement for use of the name RS/6000.  Anyone want to
>   substantiate this?

So far as I know the rumored lawsuit has to do with some car
company that holds the trademark on "RS 6000".  However, IBM
does not use this trademark, so I don't see how anyone can
sue IBM.

The "official" name of the machine is "RISC System/6000", and
the "official" abbreviation is "S/6000", not "RS/6000".  There
are quite a few people on networks who refer to the machine
as the "RS/6000", but that isn't IBM's fault (just as there
are people who still refer to it using a certain Spanish
word ...)

I happen to own a Tandy 6000, and it isn't an "RS/6000".  The
"TRS-80" machines never made it past "Model 16B" - there was
never a "RS/6000" from Tandy Corp.  All of the > 1000 numbered
systems were "Tandy xxxx".  (I also own a TRS-80 Model 16B,
and even it isn't an "RS/16B" ;-)
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org