RS6000 as compute and disk server

Zvika Bar-Deroma AER7101 at TECHNION.BITNET
Tue Dec 4 05:01:48 AEST 1990

Hi,
We are considering  the possibility of seeting up a  class consisting of
20 X-terminals and appropriate server(s). We are thinking of a model 530
(32 MB memory) or  520+320 (32 MB memory each). It  is not expected that
any  of  those terminals  will  run  very heavy  graphical  applications
(rather  2  D  display  of   data  from  some  calculations,  meant  for
undergrads). The servers are expected to be able to support 4 windows on
each Xterminal concurrently, one of them being a PC-simulator window.

I would like any comments considering the above configuration, including:

  *    Will the servers be able to support those X-terminals ?
  *    Can response time expcted to be "reasonable" ?
  *    Do you expect any problems (which ?) if we use NCD X-terminals
       and not Xstation 120 (IBM) (Why on earth is IBM officially
       supporting Visual and not NCD X-terminals ) ?
  *    Are there any X-applications that will NOT run on non-IBM
       X-terminals.

I am particulary interested in communicating (by e-mail, FAX or phone)
with anyone who has a similar configuration and am also interested in any
comments the Austin people might have in that matter.

/Zvika

Zvika Bar-Deroma                                  Phone: (+972)-4-292706
Faculty of Aerospace Engineering,                 Fax  : (+972)-4-231848
Technion
Haifa 32000
Israel

BITNET        :   AER7101 at TECHNION
INTERNET      :   AER7101%TECHNION.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.EDU
DOMAIN NAMING :   AER7101 at TECHNION.TECHNION.AC.IL
uucp          :   .....!psuvax1!aer7101 at technion.bitnet
CSNET         :   aer7101 at technion.bitnet