pre-install distributions.

Mathew Accapadi;3-3517 matt at mathew.austin.ibm.com
Wed Dec 5 07:02:10 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec03.222359.9513 at cassandra.uucp> cassandra!peter at yenta.alb.nm.us (Peter Blemel) writes:
>I recently recieved a model 530 with about 80mb of pre-installed software
>in /usr/sys/preload. After installing all of the stuff, I am ready to remove
>the preload sources. Lo and behold this isn't a partition, it's a directory!
>
>So, all of the installation stuff automatically extended /usr because it wasn't
>big enough, but now it's got 80mb of allocated space that's basically wasted.
>All of documentation on my loaner machine said "create /usr/lpp.install as a
>partition so you can remove it and reclaim the space later". Why can't IBM
>even follow their own advice when they ship the real ones?!?.

I have recently become involved with preloads, and I griped about this also.
While it was too late to do anything about the preloads for
the current release, I will be working on trying to get this changed for the
next release so that the preload images are put on a separate logical volume.

Matt
Mathew Accapadi
IBM AWD - Austin, TX
Tie 793-3517
...cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!mathew.austin.ibm.com!matt